[LMB] What's needed

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 1 18:35:41 GMT 2020

On Fri, January 31, 2020 6:20 pm, Lois Bujold wrote:
> Actually, I fancy movable type is in the offing in Pen's world.
> Pen has in fact just invented the Betamax version of printing, due to be
> out-competed pretty quickly.  I hope he collects some royalties first.

The thing to keep in mind here is that one of the BIG advantages of
movable type is that you can set up the type, print a signature (8 or
12 or 16 pages), and then break up the type to set the next signature.
Which means you only need a hundred pounds or so of lead/tin to start
printing.  If you're doing a block a page, then you need either metal
or wood, and LOTS of it, for EACH book, meaning your printer needs
to have a handy warehouse AND be very rich to afford all those plates
and their storage and organization.

Tony Z

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"