[LMB] What’s needed

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 21:53:36 GMT 2020

I was discussing introducing cheap paper and printing presses in Roman
times on another list, and came up with this scenario:

The Emperor Claudius came storming into my shop.  "What are you doing,
Ericus?"

"Publishing, Imperious Caesar, sir!  Here!  Take a look at the list of
stuff I've got!"

Claudius took the list and started reading down it.  "Hmmm..*.Nights in a
Parthian Harem*?  *Lustful Ladies of Alexandria?*  *The Private Intimate
Diary of Cleopatra?*"  He gave me a look.  "This is TRASH!  This is FILTH!
This is PORNOGRAPHY!"

I produced a huge sack of money, hefting it with a grunt and putting it on
the table where it made the table groan with the weight.  "This is a gold
mine!  *Pecunia non olet *is my motto, Caesar!"  I showed him a
manuscript.  "Here's one I'm working on called *The Adventures of the
Erotic Etruscans!"*

Claudius took the manuscript and began reading.  Then he gave me a Look.
"This is all wrong!  The Etruscan names you have don't make any sense!
Consider this confiscated---I'll be going over it to make sure you have
things right!  At least I can read Etruscan!"  He snagged the money.
"Oh---and thanks for the tax payment!"  As he swept out with his
Praetorians, I heaved a sigh of relief.  I had twenty more sacks of coins
just like that one, but they were safely hidden away.  For one manuscript
I'd been on the verge of rejecting and one sack of gold, I had him off my
back.