[LMB] Cazaril vs the Ransom

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Mon Feb 3 05:30:56 GMT 2020

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 03:46:14PM -0600, Tony Zbaraschuk wrote:

> a lot more room to do interesting things.  (Even _Lord of the Rings_,
> which makes the humble hobbit heroes the ones who save the world,
> had Frodo, Merry, and Pippin as members of the elite in the Shire.)

Merry and Pippin are even more elite than they seem in the text, or need
to be.  For a long time I thought they ended up as Master and Thain
because of their accomplishments (though there's a clue otherwise for
Pippin in "Scouring", mention of his father.)  But if you look at the
family trees, you see that they're the eldest/only sons of the current
Master and Thain.  Insofar as hobbits have princes, they are the crown
princes of the Shire and Buckland.

Which makes it odd that Frodo never brought up "guys, don't you have
family responsibilities or something?"

Frodo himself is wealthy and related to such people (second cousin-ish)
and probably 'head' of the Baggins clan (Tolkien said as much in a
letter) but mostly just looks like a rich dude.

> Betan Survey captain - that's incredibly near the top in terms of
> capability, in the highest-tech society in the galaxy.  Maybe not
> part of Steady Freddy's inner circle, but definitely well above
> average.

It's an earned elite rather than a born one, though.

-xx- Damien X-)