[LMB] Cazaril vs the Ransom

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 3 15:16:35 GMT 2020

On Sun, February 2, 2020 11:30 pm, Damien Sullivan wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 03:46:14PM -0600, Tony Zbaraschuk wrote:
>
>> a lot more room to do interesting things.  (Even _Lord of the Rings_,
>> which makes the humble hobbit heroes the ones who save the world, had
>> Frodo, Merry, and Pippin as members of the elite in the Shire.)
>
> Merry and Pippin are even more elite than they seem in the text, or need
> to be.  For a long time I thought they ended up as Master and Thain because
> of their accomplishments (though there's a clue otherwise for Pippin in
> "Scouring", mention of his father.)  But if you look at the
> family trees, you see that they're the eldest/only sons of the current
> Master and Thain.  Insofar as hobbits have princes, they are the crown
> princes of the Shire and Buckland.
>
> Which makes it odd that Frodo never brought up "guys, don't you have
> family responsibilities or something?"

Pippin, and I think Merry, are both in their tweens -- hobbit coming-of-age
is 33, and they're both in their 20s.  So they probably have some
responsibilities coming up, but right now they're not obligated to
do very much, so they have time to roam around with their friends...

> Frodo himself is wealthy and related to such people (second cousin-ish)
> and probably 'head' of the Baggins clan (Tolkien said as much in a letter)
> but mostly just looks like a rich dude.

Bilbo presumably had some money to start with, or some land ownership,
or _something_; we are told he gave away all his share of Smaug's
treasure over the course of his life, but there seems to have been
some left over for Frodo, and of course there may have been rents
or something...

>> Betan Survey captain - that's incredibly near the top in terms of
>> capability, in the highest-tech society in the galaxy.  Maybe not part of
>> Steady Freddy's inner circle, but definitely well above
>> average.
>
> It's an earned elite rather than a born one, though.

Granted.

Tony Z

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"