[LMB] Plot musing on topic

Lois Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Wed Feb 5 02:04:21 GMT 2020

[LMB] Plot musing on topic
Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 19:52:07 GMT 2020

I'm swinging back through the Penric stories on audio.  Matching up parts
of Penric's childhood as we know it (ripping through all available books in
sight before age ten, for example) with what he achieves under pressure,  I
realize both how intelligent he's always been  -- the equal of Miles I'd
say -- and how little anyone realized it before Desdemona. Including him.

LMB:  Ayup.  Pen grew up in a world completely without IQ tests, and
with very little written matter available to him.  So he went off to be
an outdoor boy, learning other skills from everyone around him, which
was actually pretty good for him at the time. And later.

When he did finally get access to significant book learning, from age 19
on, it was a revelation.

Still no IQ tests (for whatever they're worth) though, so he is free of
those sorts of artificial expectations and toxic comparisons.  He's only
judged by results.

Ta, L.