[LMB] Microscopy

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Wed Feb 5 14:50:09 GMT 2020

The following is from Wikipedia:

The field of microscopy (optical microscopy) dates back to at least the 17th-century. Earlier microscopes, single lens magnifying glasses with limited magnification, date at least as far back as the wide spread use of lenses in eyeglasses in the 13th century but more advanced compound microscopes first appeared in Europe around 1620 The earliest practitioners of microscopy include Galileo Galilei, who found in 1610 that he could close focus his telescope to view small objects close up and Cornelis Drebbel, who may have invented the compound microscope around 1620 Antonie van Leeuwenhoek developed a very high magnification simple microscope in the 1670's and is often considered to be the first acknowledged microscopist and microbiologist.

I don’t believe in “tech levels”. Different societies under different conditions develop different tools. However, in spite of a fairly mature glass industry, there is no mention of any type of lenses in the WGW. No eyeglasses or magnifying glass of any sort. Glassforge can produce large quantities of window glass, enough to transport it across the half-continent available to them. They make decorative glass bowls. I don’t understand why no lenses.

William A Wenrich