[LMB] Microscopy

Karen A. Wyle kawyle at att.net
Wed Feb 5 15:25:22 GMT 2020

 Didn't the Aztecs or some other culture in the region have wheels on toys but miss using them on transport?
Karen A. Wyle
    On Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 10:24:19 AM EST, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2020, at 7:50 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>
> I don’t believe in “tech levels”. Different societies under different conditions develop different tools. However, in spite of a fairly mature glass industry, there is no mention of any type of lenses in the WGW. No eyeglasses or magnifying glass of any sort. Glassforge can produce large quantities of window glass, enough to transport it across the half-continent available to them. They make decorative glass bowls. I don’t understand why no lenses.

It can be odd when a society appears to miss an easy technology.    Sometimes the technology appears to be simple, such as stirrups or horse collars (both of which have had major impacts).

I imagine there are simple philosophies that we also miss.
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to kawyle at att.net
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk