[LMB] Plot musing on topic

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Sun Feb 9 20:55:38 GMT 2020

On Wed, February 5, 2020 1:31 pm, Matthew George wrote:
> It's his oldest brother who runs Jurald Keep.  Assuming things work
> somewhat the way they did in actual Europe, younger sons had very little
> to look forward to - which is part of why they often joined the military
> or the priesthood.

We should note that this varied a lot by country -- in England, for
instance, only one son inherited noble status.  In most of the German
lands, _everyone_ inherited that status, meaning that lands ended up
being divided and divided and divided, until there wasn't enough to
support all the children.

>  Penric would have likely be considered too scrawny for
> the mercenaries, and I guess he didn't feel a call to the priesthood,
> so... backup heir is all he could really look forward to.

There's always moving to the city and doing something in the way of
business...

Tony Z

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"