[LMB] Plot musing on topic

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Feb 11 17:11:53 GMT 2020

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 11:36:30 -0500, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Trying to embed helpful information in a religion tends not to work out
>well, especially when attempting to eventually get people to surpass those
>instructions.  You might be able to get people to adopt soapy handwashing
>as a form of ritual purity, but if you managed it, you'd have a hard time
>getting them to accept actual hygienic standards instead of your ritual.
>
>Matt "even with microscopes, people didn't adopt germ theory for ages" G.

I've wondered whether Kosher/Halal rules are like this: in a hot country
with no refrigeration and no antihelmintics, not eating shellfish or
pork makes a lot of sense.

I imagine an early genius trying fruitlessly to explain.

"Tell us again why we should avoid these things?"

Finally, he cracks.

"God says so!"

"Well, why didn't you say so in the first place?"
--
Opposition brings concord.  Out of discord comes the fairest harmony.  - Heraclitus