[LMB] All things are contained in Bujold...

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 17:15:25 GMT 2020

I read that book too, and Eric's right, it's good and thought-provoking.
One piece of the puzzle is that 'Baptist' in the name of the church is
something of a historical accident. They're actually hard-line Calvinists
of a type rarely seen today. To them, a few people were always predestined
to be saved (mostly just them) while all others were predestined to
damnation. So while it's their job to Speak The Truth, being righteous and
all, they are under no obligation to moderate how they speak it. They don't
expect to attract converts, God will send the (very few) who are supposed
to be saved to them. So they can be as mean as they like without guilt.
>From time to time they turn that same Righteousness on one of their own.
Megan (and her favorite sister) didn't escape so much as get thrown out,
after being scapegoated along with their mother as part of an internal
power struggle.