[LMB] Plot musing on topic

Harvey Fishman fishman at panix.com
Tue Feb 11 18:17:26 GMT 2020

------ Original Message ------
From: "Marc Wilson" <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk>
Bcc: fishman at panix.com
To: "LMB" <lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: 2/11/2020 12:11:53 PM
Subject: Re: [LMB] Plot musing on topic

>I've wondered whether Kosher/Halal rules are like this: in a hot country
>with no refrigeration and no antihelmintics, not eating shellfish or
>pork makes a lot of sense.

The rules of Halachic Rules of Kashrut are a ***___LOT___*** more
complex than shellfish and pork. For instance with beef, first the
animal must not be diseased.
Then it must be killed in a ritual way by throatcutting and bleeding to
death. Next, only the foreportions of the animal may be eaten. It must
be less than ten days since the slaughter, and all the blood must be
drawn out with salt (koshering) before it is cooked. I have no idea how
that is mapped to Halal, other than both methods require the throat
cutting slaughter.

Harvey