[LMB] Religion and cultural drift

Richard Molpus rgmolpus at flash.net
Tue Feb 11 22:40:08 GMT 2020

 Something overlooked in the discussion of the 'usefulness' of the Mosaic code is that it was drafted/Presented just after the Hebrews had left from Egypt. they knew in great detail the eating/dressing/social behaviors of the Egyptian nobility; what had been forbidden to them, and what had been mandatory.
Many parts of the code can be seen to be responses to the society they had left; including formal permission to do what had been forbidden, and injunctions against doing what had been mandatory.
The injunction against wearing mixed fabrics becomes understandable in the light of what the nobility had worn, and what the Hebrew Slaves had been forbidden to wear - 'We aren't doing THAT anymore!' in clear declaration.