[LMB] All things are contained in Bujold...

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 00:53:52 GMT 2020

I don't know if Commander Cavilo would qualify as outright evil.  She
struck me more as sociopathic.  To her, other people---whether it was
Randall (the commander of her force before she usurped power), Miles,
Gregor, her own soldiers---were objects to be manipulated for her amusement
or gain.

I've heard sociopathy described as like being color-blind.  Basically, they
just lack empathy to a scale most people can't understand.  And not all
sociopaths are serial killers.  Far from it.  Cavilo could have been a
high-functioning sociopath all her life.