[LMB] All things are contained in Bujold...

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 15 02:35:06 GMT 2020

On Tue, February 11, 2020 1:10 pm, Howard Brazee wrote:
> Which Bujold characters do you condemn most for being evil?

Horseriver.  His own choices delivered him to his hell, and he
insists on dragging everyone else with him.

Cavilo is probably a very close second, in the "treat people as things"
category.

> Which “bad” Bujold characters to you feel most and least sorry for?

Horseriver.  So great-souled; so willfully lost.  Or maybe Mark, the
butt monkey of the Vorkosigan family.

Little sorrow for Dondo; there's just a narcissistic ball of vile
there, and while you get the sense Horseriver could have chosen
otherwise ... could Dondo?  Is there enough _there_ that he could
have been something else?  Maybe it's just that we don't see
enough of him.

And I'm not really sorry for Miles at any point; too many of his
problems are his own creation, and it's magnificent to see justice
descend upon him in the form of (say) Cordelia waxing eloquent on
Ekaterin - not that it's the only occasion.

> Which Bujold characters do yo condemn most for being screw-ups, but not
> necessarily evil? --

Cattilara, I think.  Not entirely sure about this one.

Tony Z

--
Et vocavit Deus, "Fiat lux!"