[LMB] OT: ish, the nuclear family

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Feb 17 19:37:17 GMT 2020

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 14:13:32 -0500, Sylvia McIvers
<sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

>> My niece (who is an Episcopal priest) says that what jumped out at her was
>> that Brooks doesn't seem to know what "rectory" means (might he have
>> actually meant "factory"?).
>

>The rectory is where the priest (and family) lives, isn't it? Hey, I read
>Jane Austen.  And Anne of Green Gables, too.

Traditionally, a rector received the greater and lesser tithes, where a
vicar received only the lesser tithes, so a rectory was a better
benefice than a vicarage.  The difference is now academic, of course.
--
To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.
  - Leonard Bernstein