[LMB] OT: ish, the nuclear family

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Mon Feb 17 21:10:17 GMT 2020

On Feb 17, 2020, at 2:13 PM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 1:30 PM Katherine Collett <kcollett at hamilton.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> My niece (who is an Episcopal priest) says that what jumped out at her was
>> that Brooks doesn't seem to know what "rectory" means (might he have
>> actually meant "factory"?).
>
> The rectory is where the priest (and family) lives, isn't it? Hey, I read
> Jane Austen.  And Anne of Green Gables, too.

Yep.  My church has a rectory (attached to the church, so it’s not like we can sell it), though many don’t these days — my niece, for instance, lives in the house they bought a mile or so from her church.  Her grandfather was a Methodist minister, so her mother and aunts grew up in a rectory.

Katherine