[LMB] OT: ish, the nuclear family

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Feb 17 23:51:51 GMT 2020

> On Feb 17, 2020, at 12:33 PM, Thomas Izbicki <tizbick at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> There's an Italian phrase, found in Renaissance texts, "the burdens of marriage". It helps explain why men married late to younger women.

I like the theory that the age people marry is the age in which they are most likely to produce survivable (optimized?) children.

The breadwinner has a stable job, while the child bearer has a strong body, able to survive several pregnancies.    In many societies, that meant the man was significantly older than the woman.

But those optimized ages change.   Early Miss America contestants were much older than late Miss America contestants, as roles change for breadwinning and for optimizing children.   Instead of producing lots of babies hoping that some survive, we produce fewer babies and give them better educations and other expensive advantages.   The age gap narrows as both parents are more likely to have income-producing jobs, and women don’t wear themselves as much in childbearing.