[LMB] OT: ish, the nuclear family

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 02:36:43 GMT 2020

In Victorian times, according to Kellow Chesney's *The Anti-Society: Inside
the Victorian Underworld*, the middle-class ideal was for an older man to
marry a bride once he could keep her in the style to which she was
accustomed.  They had a horror of "imprudent" marriages, partly due to the
fact that divorce was all but impossible and socially disastrous.  Young
men of limited means tended to stay single...and, every so often, after an
evening at the club, take a purposeful stroll up the Haymarket.  (At that
time, the Haymarket, along with Soho, was a major center of prostitution.
Anybody with money and even a modicum of street-smarts could get anything
he wanted up there.  It was probably more wide-open than Patpong Road, the
Hamburg Reeperbahn or the Amsterdam red-light district.)