[LMB] Vernacular

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 06:15:36 GMT 2020

On 2/17/2020 8:43 AM, Howard Brazee wrote:
> Writers are often told to show us, not tell us.
>
> However, when the language that the characters are speaking isn’t really English, the author can’t write in the character’s vernacular.
>
> Which means, I can understand it!
>
> I was just reading a novel set in Victorian England where some characters were talking with poor people’s accents, and I gave up trying to figure out what they were saying.   I don’t have that skill and it was a lot of work trying to translate.

Done the historical reenacting thing for multiple decades. I also peeve
many in the hobby because I refuse to 'fairespeak' or use faux period
language.

Look, dudes - my dean in high school *was* a scholar of Chaucerian era
poetry. The guy could chat in the vernacular, fluently enough that you
could costume him, and drop him back 600 years and he would blend in. My
mom could read and speak the same [her college edumacation don't ya know]

If I were to speak like my persona, I would either be speaking whatever
dialect an Alexandrian Roman of 100 AD spoke at home, a Shu-nu-shi nomad
woman would speak wandering around in her region, or a London-born woman
of middle class in 1580. None of that includes calling a telephone a far
speaker, or an automobile a wain, or any other fairspeakism used to
sound cutely period. I tell people that they are simply hearing me speak
their language not mine.

If you have issues suspending *your* disbelief then look around at that
Roman, that Samurai,, that Elizabethan and that Viking over there and
then tell me again why *I* need to speak some fakey sounding twaddle to
help you immerse yourself?