[LMB] Vernacular

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 18:16:45 GMT 2020

One reason, IMO, that English speakers have a rough time with foreign
languages is because English lost almost all of its Indo-European grammar
structure between about 900 and 1700 AD.  At first it was because of
creolization with Norse, later it was because the prestige language was
(Norman) French, and English was not a literary language.  By the time it
became a literary language again on a large scale, it was radically
simplified from classical Anglo-Saxon, to the point that Old English is for
all intents and purposes a foreign language.