[LMB] Calendars

Karen A. Wyle kawyle at att.net
Sat Feb 29 14:05:53 GMT 2020

 Didn't Komarr have a significantly shorter day than Barrayar? I remember this coming up in Captain Vorpatril's Alliance.
Karen A. Wyle
    On Saturday, February 29, 2020, 08:53:30 AM EST, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

 In our Earth, the annual calendar was pretty universal.  Lunar calendars were common.  The weekly & monthly calendars came with conquests.  The utility of common calendars and clocks mean everybody has a 24 hour calendar and 7-day week.  (You want me to take the 7th day off?  OK, whatever).

In an interstellar society, I would expect multiple calendars and clocks.  Local days and years are still important for planet bound people.  In space habitats, Earth time may be the standard (GMT?)

A multi-planet empire may have a third standard.

Lois has spaceships adjusting their clocks to their destination planet.  I suppose to the space port time.  I don’t remember any inhabited planets having extremely different day lengths.

I suppose clocks could show two times, similar to the way my car has a speedometer with both kph & mph.

Or three, one to your home planet, one for the planet you’re on, and one for earth standard.
Lois-Bujold mailing list message sent to kawyle at att.net
Lois-Bujold at lists.herald.co.uk