[LMB] Calendars

Baur baur at chello.at
Sat Feb 29 14:38:42 GMT 2020

Am 29.02.2020 um 14:52 schrieb Howard Brazee:
> In our Earth, the annual calendar was pretty universal.   Lunar
> calendars were common.   The weekly & monthly calendars came with
> conquests.   The utility of common calendars and clocks mean
> everybody has a 24 hour calendar and 7-day week.   (You want me to
> take the 7th day off?  OK, whatever).

we do have several competing calenders on this world - gregorian,
islamic, jewish .. i am sure there are a few more in some nooks and crannies

i am not sure if sideral should also count as a separate calender -
probalby yes (even if its used only by a small minority)

plus a second competing calender and clock in the solar system - Mars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timekeeping_on_Mars

(i would love to have one of the wrist watches calibrated in mars time)

> In an interstellar society, I would expect multiple calendars and
> clocks.   Local days and years are still important for planet bound
> people.   In space habitats, Earth time may be the standard (GMT?)

or the calender / clock of their originally sponsoring planet

lois station was built by beta colony - so they use beta colony calender
& clock - whereas the station at mcmaster's point was built by eta ceta
- so they use cetaganda imperial calender and clock ..

> A multi-planet empire may have a third standard.

yep - probably the standard of the capitial planet (look at the old
CCCP, where VERY much was run on mosow time)

> Lois has spaceships adjusting their clocks to their destination
> planet.   I suppose to the space port time.   I don’t remember any
> inhabited planets having extremely different day lengths.

it was never mentioned much, iirc

> I suppose clocks could show two times, similar to the way my car has
> a speedometer with both kph & mph.

they will need those ..

> Or three, one to your home planet, one for the planet you’re on, and
> one for earth standard.

yep ..

servus

markus