[LMB] Calendars

Ron Conescu ronconescu at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 16:11:33 GMT 2020

Replying to baur’s comment about Mars time:

As a student, I had the privilege of interviewing some of the people on the
Mars rover project, including the people who wore two wristwatches – one
for Earth time, one for Mars time – and they lived on Mars time, where the
day is 40 minutes longer than Earth’s.  It was apparently both very cool
and very much a problem. The project was originally only slated to go on
for three months, not years. Being on Mars time meant that after a number
of months, you were 12 hours shifted from Earth time: you were 12 hours off
from your family. But you still had to go home, sleep, eat, and so on. As I
recall, it was apparently very inconvenient — while being simultaneously
unquestionably and exuberantly amazing.

(If you have more knowledge of this, please jump in! I’m glad to learn more
about, or be corrected on, anything I might have misunderstood.)

Ron