[LMB] NQOT The impacts of eBooks

Andras Farkas deepbluemistake at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 02:57:52 GMT 2020

On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 4:04 PM WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
> There have been so many things in publishing that have changed since ebook readers were introduced this could become a very long post. BTW, the subject line starts with Not Quite Off Topic. Since I quote Herself in the post, how could it be off topic?
> The most obvious changes include the ability to carry a library in one hand, a decrease in cost, and the increased importance (as as it was needed) of secure electrical power and internet connections.
> I attended the Denvention world con where Lois was guest of honor in 2008. (It’s easy to remember the year, Emma was born just after we got home.) I believe it was there that I heard Lois say that the economics of publishing pushed her toward novels but her preferred length was the novella. Novels have been growing in length for many years. I’ve been rereading some of Piper’s novels and they are, though longer than novellas, about half the length of most novels published today. Consider some novels by RAH, Double Star to SIASL to TEFL. The later books are much longer, and heavier. Lois said that she split up the WGW to keep it from becoming a wrist breaker.
> However, ebooks and self publishing has also allowed authors to write, publish, and, most importantly, make money on novellas. I don’t think we would have P&D without and the world would be a much poorer place.
This is a big mood -- I recently discovered this, myself.  I had
bought novella by an author I had just met online, via Smashwords, for
3 USD, and while I totally prefer paper over my computer monitor,
since I enjoyed the novella so much, I thought, "Wow, this really is
something."  To be able to buy a certain story for three bucks on
demand, that's not bad!  I'm used to being able to find whole paper
books and novels for two dollars (that's how I found the first story
by LMB I read, Mountains of Mourning, in a 10-novella collection) but
that's always been at random on physical shelves and in dusty boxes,
not by search or design.
So I agree, both ebooks and self-publishing allow for more variety,
and that's really a good thing here.

> I don’t know for certain, but I expect that Lois has been able to scale back, work with the format she’s most comfortable with, and been more productive.
Hopefully. :D
I've found habits are possible to make, though.  I do free-form
roleplay online, and while I prize shorter posts over longer ones, the
bad habits I've learnt on one roleplay site have gotten me writing
longer and longer posts everywhere... oops!
But hopefully Lois can still ease herself back into her fave story
length for writing. :B

Now a quasi-on-topic question:
Does anyone know of any good novelette collections?  In this case,
preferably paper ones.
I've read many novels, many short stories, and now some novellas, but
I realise I haven't read much in the novelette length category.