[LMB] Thoughts about Tau Verde

Andras Farkas deepbluemistake at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 17:09:36 GMT 2020

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 11:15 AM Pouncer via Lois-Bujold
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:
> >What if Tau Verde had their own miniature time of isolation? > Orsomething equivalent.  ... it seems a lot ofplanets really >are just barely managing it, when taken relative tothose.
> I really love this speculation.  Thanks.
I'm glad!  This is the sorta stuff I love, too. :B

> A change in Earth's status or an economic shift to a new sortof "fuel" resource would be very like the changes in 20th Earth moving away from slavery, or coal, and the collapse ofEmpires structured around those resources.  Often suchcollapses affected our entire world.  I wonder if Tau Verdeetc -- the backwater worlds -- were cut off during "Nexus War One"  a.k.a  "The Great War"  or some such?
> I wonder if Tau Verdeetc -- the backwater worlds -- were cut off during "Nexus War One"  a.k.a  "The Great War"  or some such?
Oohhh.  This is an intriguing idea, and exactly something that fits in
with a planet being too irrelevant at the time to be cared about by
"bigger" planets.

> The multi-world Empire thing going on in Miles day seems to suggest to me he and the Nexus are on the far side of a "Nexus War Two".  Lots of little conflicts --  CetagandanWar Three from Barrayar's perspective -- but not yetdrawing in great alliances of the major powers.  On theother hand, the Barrayaran attempt at Escobar throughSergyar drawing in Beta's "Thin Blue Line" seems likethe Betan's were somewhat prepared to stomp out "littlewars" -- having, perhaps, survived a big one?
I wonder.  In the (few so far) books I've read, while Beta Colony
loves devising and selling tons of weapons... to me, what cultural
bits I see don't show a fear or war, or cultural memory of a big war
in recent times.
But given their weapons production, maybe there was one in their distant past.