[LMB] OT: Afterlife

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Sun Nov 1 23:49:33 GMT 2020

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 10:06:23AM -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:

> I agree with William. Atheism claims to be true and the God does not exist.

Wrong.

> Agnostic is the only valid, scientific belief. If there's no evidence then
> claiming something does NOT exist is pretty stupid.

Claiming you don't believe in it is pretty smart, though.

> Many "atheists" are actually agnostic if you talk to them. They'll freely

Many "agnostics" are actually atheist if you talk to them.  They don't
believe in God, they don't worry about God's existence, God is not part
of their life.  Even Huxley himself, who coined "agnostic", admitted
there was a lot of overlap:

'I have never had the least sympathy with the a priori reasons against
orthodoxy, and I have by nature and disposition the greatest possible
antipathy to all the atheistic and infidel school. Nevertheless I know
that I am, in spite of myself, exactly what the Christian would call,
and, so far as I can see, is justified in calling, atheist and infidel.
I cannot see one shadow or tittle of evidence that the great unknown
underlying the phenomenon of the universe stands to us in the relation
of a Father [who] loves us and cares for us as Christianity asserts.'

> The ones that go around complaining about other people believing in God and
> working to convince / convert others are the most annoying.

Are you as bothered by Christian missionaries?