[LMB] clothing, was Programming, was: Re: OT: Afterlife

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com
Mon Nov 2 02:51:21 GMT 2020

> On Nov 1, 2020, at 3:59 PM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 6:56 PM Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I never have understood why so many people seem to dislike pantsuits.
>> Personally, I've always thought that trousers were much more modest than
>> skirts, and more practical.
>>

> The problem is not liking pantsuits, or modesty.
> The problem is the extreme lack of pockets.
>
> Count how many pockets a man's suit has - two pockets in the jacket and
> maybe a (small) breast pocket, breast pocket on the shirt , two side seam
> pants pockets, or maybe 2 pockets in front and 2 in back.

I just checked my suit coat and it has 3 inside pockets as well. Suits can also come with a vest, which has more pockets.

> Now count how many pockets a woman's suit has.  Zero.

I once mentioned to my older* sister that women’s good clothes don’t have pockets because of an unwritten sumptuary law. She didn’t recognize the word (she wasn’t a heavy duty book reader like myself and our other sister).

*older as she is the older of 2 sisters, I was first born.

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com