[LMB] Programming, was: Re: OT: Afterlife

WalterStuartBushell proto at panix.com
Mon Nov 2 13:45:40 GMT 2020

> On Oct 30, 2020, at 3:17 PM, Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:
>
> On 10/30/20 9:30 AM, WalterStuartBushell wrote:
>> for a machine with no peanalty for random access on main memory
>
> Ah the good old days. I know programmers who claim to miss this feature.
>
> Except, the reason there was no penalty was because main memory was slow. Equally slow for every access, true. But slow.
>
> Memory caching and RAM sequential burst reads are a good thing. Even if it means RAM is a lot more like a tape drive than really random access.
>
> --
>                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
>                        Study Hard — Be Evil

RAM isn’t slow, it’’s that processors have gotten immensely faster. Apparently speeding up processors is cheaper
than speeding up RAM. Of course, I come from an era where main memory was core, which still is used for hysterical
raisons.

Also see, “Dance a Fandango on core.”

—
“That which doesn’t make us stronger kills us.”