[LMB] OT: Afterlife

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 17:26:04 GMT 2020

On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 23:25:22 -0400, Fred <fred.fredex at gmail.com> wrote:

>William, as you know by now, it ALMOST NEVER is a hardware problem...
>99.999999999% of the time the programmer (you, me) has pulled a stupid
>stunt.

I was present when a major back spent a 7-figure sum trying to work out
why something failed.  There were systems guys and engineers from both
the client and the vendor.  After several weeks single-stepping through
trace logs and simulations, they came to the conclusion that it was a
random bit-flip, probably caused by a cosmic ray impact.
--
Humanity without religion is like a serial killer without a chainsaw.  -- unknown