[LMB] OT: Afterlife

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 17:27:41 GMT 2020

On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 07:07:39 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
wrote:

>> On Oct 28, 2020, at 8:47 PM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> Talking about programming, when I first started programming, I was programming in FORTRAN on a PDP-11 mini-computer.  The first thing they wanted me to write was an inventory control program.
>> Now FORTRAN is not the best language for that application. As I was working on the program, writing my own shell sort, and learning the ins and outs of the PDP-11 (text is loaded with the first character in the low order byte and the second in high, 16 bit words), I started to get results that just didn’t make sense. I finally
decided that there was a hardware problem. After I told my boss, I was informed that it was never a hardware problem. It was only after I wrote a program that said 2.0 * 3.0 = -37854.6 that anyone believed me.

>I was familiar with a hardware problem with a VAX coming up with a wrong result, but that was the only one I was familiar with.

There was the notorious Intel issue that required a load of CPUs to be
replaced...
--
Humanity without religion is like a serial killer without a chainsaw.  -- unknown