[LMB] Programming, was: Re: OT: Afterlife

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at zoho.com
Mon Nov 2 17:58:07 GMT 2020

---- On Mon, 02 Nov 2020 05:59:41 -0800 Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote ----

The problem with women's fashions is that women keep buying them.  Men
aren't going around holding guns to women's heads, forcing them to buy
shoes that cripple them and garments with no pockets.  It's women who set
the standards, women who accept them, and to a very large degree it's women
who enforce them.

We discussed this just a couple of months ago, didn't we? Since you obviously weren't listening, here you go again:

Women do not, by and large, own the fashion houses, or the fashion magazines. Women do not, by and large, own the companies that create any of the major corporations that create and market things for women. Women do not own the large department stores and chains from which the majority of American clothing is sold to the consumer. Women are a minority of the executives and designers and managers (and the further up the ladder you go, the fewer women there are). Women do not own the companies that put ads in fashion magazines and TV shows aimed at women. Nor do women own the advertising agencies who design the ads. At no step is there any desire to cater to what women actually want; the desire is to cater to what the men in charge *want* women to want, or what they think women *should* want.

So women are left with few if any options that give us what we actually want (in this case, pockets). There are choices:

spend hours and hours scouring stores for clothes that look good on you, fit, *and* have pockets (and spending huge amounts of time on the endeavor with no guarantee you'll actually succeed).

Make your clothes yourself, which requires a lot of skill and free time and is also far more expensive than buying ready-to-wear clothes

Buy ready-to-wear clothes and put pockets in, which is cheaper and takes less time than making the clothes yourself, but still requires a great deal of skill in addition to the time and effort. And which may not be possible depending on the construction of the garment.

Buy stuff from boutiques (mostly women-owned) that are designed with pockets. This is the easiest solution, but also fairly pricey.

Notice all of these suggestions require significant investments of time and/or money. Not everybody has the time and money to spend.

The assumption that the free market will work to provide what people want does not work in all situations. Namely, it does not work when:

a) nobody in the market is catering to the desires of that particular group of people (so they have no better options) and

b) the people currently making decisions are satisfied with current way things are running.

If nobody in the market is catering to my wishes, my choices are to spend my money on stuff that *doesn't* fulfill what i actually want, or opt out of the market. And I can't opt out of wearing clothes. And I don't have the time and money to make my entire wardrobe, sadly. So they're going to get money out of me *even though they're not making stuff I actually want*. So they don't have to actually *care* what I want.

If everybody in charge of the major corporations that decide what choices the consumer is offered thinks things are going fine and the dominant paradigm is great, then they have no motivation to change the way they do business.

Beatrice Otter