[LMB] OT: names

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Nov 2 18:32:02 GMT 2020

> On Nov 2, 2020, at 10:40 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> are loud and shrill and why don't they just shut up!  Argh.
>> I also note that she is "Hilary" and not "Senator Clinton" or even
>> "Clinton."  How many other politicians are referred to by first name only?
>
> "Boris" in the UK is the only one that springs to mind; and not for the
> same reason.

Hillary has the same excuse we have in referring to “Teddy” or “FDR”.

Without the sexism, we change how we refer to presidents and prime ministers.    Some of this is to save space on newspaper headlines.   “FDR” and “Ike” fit nicely.

Lots of people couldn’t tell you what the middle names of the two US presidential candidates are, but know the middle names of many past presidents.