[LMB] OT: Afterlife

B. Ross Ashley brashley46 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 19:15:11 GMT 2020

On Mon, 02 Nov 2020 17:18:04 +0000, Marc Wilson<marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk>  wrote, inter alia:

> There are what are known as "hard" atheists, who actively assert that there are no gods.  IMO, this is mistaken; it puts them in the position
> of having a claim to defend, and it's notoriously difficult to prove a negative.
> But IME the vast majority of atheists merely say that we've seen no convincing evidence of any gods, and those who claim they exist (any of
> the 4,000 or so currently or previously worshipped) are the ones thatmust provide evidence.

Right, I am with the astronomer Laplace. When he presented his model of the universe then known to Bonaparte, according to the story, the First Consul asked him why there was no mention of the creator. Laplace was said to have answered him "I had no need of that hypothesis."
The story may well be untrue, but I agree with it anyway.