[LMB] RRe: clothing was Programming, was: Re: OT: Afterlife

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Tue Nov 3 18:00:42 GMT 2020

One problem with pockets are when they are in flimsy clothing, like a summer dress.   Put anything heavy in the pocket and it can pull the clothing out of shape.

Blue jeans don’t do this, and the monstrosity which is a man’s business suit doesn’t do that (unless you use the useless outside lower pockets).

My wife carries a big purse because she wants to be prepared for anything.   I suppose that makes pockets less useful.   The only thing I carry that doesn’t fit in pockets is my iPad, which doesn’t fit in her purse either.    I used to carry a brief case back when I worked.

Fashions in the late 1700s had rich European men with huge pockets that they carried everything in.   Then fashions changed.  I don’t know what happened to the stuff they used to carry around.  Servants?

Having servants to carry things could contribute to losing pockets.   One had to show that they were rich enough to not need to carry stuff.

Does Penric have pockets?   I suspect he carries a purse.