[LMB] . Re: clothing, was Programming, was: Re: OT: Afterlife

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 18:25:21 GMT 2020

I am a large enough woman (5'10 ish) that I must wear t-shirts designed for
men. The ones designed for women all assume I'm six inches shorter than I
really am. Sweaters work well, because they're expected to bag on any
wearer and because the weight hangs from the shoulders. Men's and women's
shoulders being much the same. Clothes for the lower body, where the weight
of fabric hangs from the waist, are a whole different ball game for most
men vs most women. I can wear men's pants or shorts, but only if they have
an elastic or drawstring waist that contracts to fit my smaller waist vs
hip ratio properly.  My husband and I are enough alike in size for our
jeans to get confused in the wash, but his pants would fall off of me (much
bigger waist) while mine would be physically impossible for him to fit into
with the waistband closed.
Also note that women, like men, come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Our
late listee Meg, for example, apparently had much better luck with men's
pants for her own body. Saying that men's clothing fits one woman, or even
several women, is not a stopper argument that means "therefore any woman
who says men's clothes don't fit her is lying."
Side note: right now I am listening to a podcast about how exactly attempts
to convert people to a different religion go wrong. Apparently there is a
lot of "I know what you believe better than you do, so let me tell you why
your beliefs are wrong without learning what they are first." This always
fails to work. We've got a parallel example going here, with some men
telling women what women's clothing is like and telling the women they've
got it wrong when they chime in with firsthand experience. Notice how well
it isn't working?  Generalize the principle, folks.