[LMB] Soletta Physics Demystified

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com
Wed Nov 4 18:34:31 GMT 2020

> On Nov 4, 2020, at 10:08 AM, Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:
>
> On 11/4/20 9:12 AM, WalterStuartBushell wrote:
>> Put the soletta at one of the Trojan points, I think the location was left purposely vague.
>
> It isn't quite that simple because the soletta has to be huge if it is to reflect a useful amount of light. For example, to double Komarr's light it needs to have a radius equal to Komarr itself.

The Lagrange solution assumes that the 3rd object has negligible mass compared to the other 2 (and the mass ratio of the other 2 is about 1 to 25 or so). However, it would need an apparent diameter equal to that of Komarr’s sun (the closer it is the smaller it actually is) to double Komarr’s light. That suggests a mega-structure of non-negligible mass if is at a Trojan point (either Komarr-moon, or especially, sun-Komarr).

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com