[LMB] Soletta Physics Demystified

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 18:56:32 GMT 2020

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 10:34:31 -0800, Robert Woodward via Lois-Bujold
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk> wrote:

>> On Nov 4, 2020, at 10:08 AM, Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/4/20 9:12 AM, WalterStuartBushell wrote:
>>> Put the soletta at one of the Trojan points, I think the location was left purposely vague.
>>
>> It isn't quite that simple because the soletta has to be huge if it is to reflect a useful amount of light. For example, to double Komarr's light it needs to have a radius equal to Komarr itself.
>>

>The Lagrange solution assumes that the 3rd object has negligible mass compared to the other 2 (and the mass ratio of the other 2 is about 1 to 25 or so). However, it would need an apparent diameter equal to that of Komarr’s sun (the closer it is the smaller it actually is) to double Komarr’s light. That suggests a mega-structure
of non-negligible mass if is at a Trojan point (either Komarr-moon, or especially, sun-Komarr).

>> Which means that solar wind and photon pressure will have significant effects on it. The Soletta cannot just orbit. It has to be actively piloted as a light sail.

If it's the same diameter as the moon, but a molecule thick, it will be
negligible compared to the other two bodies.  OK, that's an extreme
example.
--
If the wind will not serve, take to the oars.  - Latin proverb