[LMB] Soletta Physics Demystified

markus baur baur at chello.at
Wed Nov 4 20:12:20 GMT 2020

Am 04.11.2020 um 19:34 schrieb Robert Woodward via Lois-Bujold:

>> On Nov 4, 2020, at 10:08 AM, Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/4/20 9:12 AM, WalterStuartBushell wrote:
>>> Put the soletta at one of the Trojan points, I think the location was left purposely vague.
>>
>> It isn't quite that simple because the soletta has to be huge if it is to reflect a useful amount of light. For example, to double Komarr's light it needs to have a radius equal to Komarr itself.
>>

> The Lagrange solution assumes that the 3rd object has negligible mass compared to the other 2 (and the mass ratio of the other 2 is about 1 to 25 or so). However, it would need an apparent diameter equal to that of Komarr’s sun (the closer it is the smaller it actually is) to double Komarr’s light. That suggests a mega-structure of non-negligible mass if is at a Trojan point (either Komarr-moon, or especially, sun-Komarr).

compared to lightsail even a HUGE lightsail is going to have negligible
mass

>> Which means that solar wind and photon pressure will have significant effects on it. The Soletta cannot just orbit. It has to be actively piloted as a light sail.

exactly - an alternative design (perhaps technically more resilent)
would be a flock of smaller lightsails swarming around the l-point

one of the advantages of L2 is that you can put the soletta(s) slightly
closer to komarr than the L-point, counteracting the gravity of Komarr
with lightpressure on the soleatta

servus

markus

a-1040 wien                     email: baur at chello.at