[LMB] OT: Conversation Therapy

Louann Miller domelouann at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 15:38:23 GMT 2020

'Sexual preference' has come to be associated with the idea that gay
people,  etc have chosen who they are attracted to. With heavy connotations
of "an immoral, sinful choice" often following almost immediately.
Choosing what impulses you act on, as opposed to what impulses you feel, is
necessary for any adult. But there's a difference between "I see that
approaching this potential partner would be wrong, for specific reasons"
and "I must play a role every waking moment, never show any hint of my
desires and feelings. I must accept that I can never, ever have an honest
relationship. As much as possible, I must lie even to myself." The latter
has been expected of gays etc through most of our culture's history, and
many places still is. That way lies madness, often literally.