[LMB] Noise

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Thu Nov 12 18:52:13 GMT 2020

On 11/12/20 10:50 AM, Howard Brazee wrote:

> I wonder what Beta sounds like. I wonder what space ships sound
> like.

They both probably sound like air conditioning. Much like office
buildings. Beta and space ships are artificial living environments.

Consider that the Beta colonists spent at least 30 years in transit in
their fusion ram-ship. They probably find the sound of air conditioning
comforting and traditional.

Now, outside on the surface of Beta we know it is breathable but sandy
and hot. It probably has some wind noise and there might be animals.

> We’re discovering how noise impacts different types of productivity
> now, but do we know what noise and sounds we should have if we could
> control them?

That's a good point, and maybe instead of air conditioning noises,
people in the future discovered that artificial air should sound like
tree leaves rustling or something similar.

Also, every two hours, plus-minus 15 minutes, there's an incredibly loud
tiger roar just behind you. Promotes cardiovascular health!

--
                 Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                         Study Hard -- Be Evil