[LMB] Is Penric wrong about the extent of his god's influence? (spoilers MiL)

Matthew George matt.msg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 18:49:18 GMT 2020

SPOILERS - spoilers for Masquerade in Lodi, maybe earlier novellas

When Penric first encountered Ruchia, I assumed that the Fifth and White
had manipulated events to bring him to her side precisely as her fatal
heart attack struck, maybe even triggering the attack at the convenient
moment.  Penric later comes to believe that, as he carries a demon, he
cannot receive visions, dreams, or other communications from any god.  A
minor miracle might result in something *like* a message - buzz buzz - but
no experience of the divine is possible for him.

Except that we later learn that Ruchia wasn't normally going to take the
route that brought her to Penric, and insisted on taking a scenic path
instead.  And we have the example of the demon-ridden dolphin which came
straight to a drowning man and, for reasons not completely clear, brought
him close enough to land to be rescued.  (It's thought that dolphins
sometimes find it interesting to play with humans found drifting at sea; if
they happen to bring them to land and they survive, the story survives, and
if not, it doesn't - therefore there are many historical examples of them
'rescuing' sailors, and none of them taking further out to die.)

We know that the gods, while unable or unwilling to counter human wills,
can exert subtle influences over humans even without direct communication.
Can the White God exert influence over demons and their riders, besides
simply herding them through demons' fear of His presence?

We now have quite a few cases that look rather like the Fifth directing
sorcerers without being, well, direct.  Is Penric wrong to think that the
gods cannot contact him?

SPOILERS for MiL, earlier novellas

Matt G.