[LMB] Noise

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Nov 13 19:07:02 GMT 2020

I just read this article:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90574686/why-do-americans-like-it-to-be-72-degrees-inside?utm_source=digg <https://www.fastcompany.com/90574686/why-do-americans-like-it-to-be-72-degrees-inside?utm_source=digg>

Here’s a paragraph:

These cultural differences in atmospheres are hard to explain to outsiders, but it’s clear that culture influences our expectations for the indoors. When I check in to a hotel room, my first mission is to turn off the fan on the air conditioning and unplug the mini-fridge, because the noise from these will keep me from sleeping. Many of my German colleagues have the same approach—which I learned from them—while most Americans don’t give this background noise a second thought. Our culture isn’t sensitive to noise from appliances and equipment, it’s just the background sound of being indoors.