[LMB] Noise

Joel Polowin jpolowin at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 13 20:12:09 GMT 2020

Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> When I check in to a hotel room, my first mission is to turn off the fan
> on the air conditioning and unplug the mini-fridge, because the noise
> from these will keep me from sleeping. Many of my German colleagues have
> the same approach—which I learned from them—while most Americans
> don’t give this background noise a second thought. Our culture isn’t
> sensitive to noise from appliances and equipment, it’s just the
> background sound of being indoors.

There are some kinds of "white noise" that I can tolerate when I'm
trying to sleep much better than I can tolerate occasional random
external sounds.  This is especially important when I'm at a con and
keeping skewed hours, and need not to be disturbed by people in the
hallway and in other rooms.  (When I'm staying in a hotel, I try to keep
in mind that hotel rooms should be considered a sleeping area from early
evening through to at least noon.  And I wish that other people had the
same kind of consideration.)  The humming can help to mask other noise.

Joel