[LMB] OT: Governor’s Orders

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Sun Nov 15 21:58:53 GMT 2020

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 07:53:04PM +0900, dbernat wrote:

> In Japan, the lockdown is pretty much over. Restaurants are operating,
> mostly.
>
> Masks, hand sanitizing, and some social distancing are the primary
> preventive measures, at least where I live two hours' travel outside Tokyo

> But some other dynamic in the spread of the disease appears to be operating
> given the disparity in the comparative number of cases between the US and
> Japan.
>
> So what is the operative dynamic? Lockdown/no lockdown makes little
> difference?
>
> Can anyone contribute from Hong Kong, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea?

I'd guess one of those Hong Kongs was meant to be Taiwan. :)

"Everyone wears masks" seems to be the big difference.  Japan has mask
history back to 1918, and East Asia was primed by SARS and MERS, and
there's been a culture of "wear masks if you might be sick, to protect
others".

Doesn't hurt to be keeping out people, or (for Korea) forcing them to
quarantine, but of course that wouldn't stop endemic spread.  Masks and
better contact tracing seem to.

Much of the US has resisted wearing masks or avoiding gatherings.  Some
people think the current huge outbreak, which looks like a bullseye or
bomb explosion centeren the Dakotas, is due to the Sturgis rally.
https://twitter.com/otis_reid/status/1326627764171141121

Lockdowns on restaurants or bars have often been lax or short-lived.
Schools are open this fall and kids are socializing after school,
probaby without masks.

-xx- Damien X-)