[LMB] Epidemic

anmar Caver anmar.mirza at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 13:25:41 GMT 2020

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 7:13 AM Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> After this year I have a different view of a lot of books and movies.
>
> There'll be some story about, frex, aliens landing, and then a few years
> later they're
> integrating into our society. Now I understand that society can change,
> massively and
> probably permanently, in a very short time. So many books about dystopian
> societies -
> now I know that people will adjust extremely fast, much more than I had
> believed possible.

The phrase "new normal" is not just an overused term, it gets to a deeper
underlying human phenomenon in that we -can- adjust to whatever new
conditions we find ourselves in, and rapidly so. Yes, on an individual
level there are those who resist upon death that change, but as a whole we
are a remarkably adaptable and resilient species. That does not mean there
won't be a lot of complaining and wailing and gnashing of teeth, but we
WILL change. As a survivalist, in the true sense of the word and not the
stereotype, part of it is the ability to look at the conditions given and
see "how best can I thrive within them."

Those who would do evil in the world also know this expressly or
intuitively. They know that they can habituate the population in such a way
to enable them to do great atrocities. We have seen this time and time
again on nation-scales, but also in smaller scales. Indeed it was so easy
that research by experimentation into such is generally banned with human
subjects.

And this adaptation IS extremely fast: in many cases a few months is all it
takes for a society to adapt to a major change, and a total change can
happen within a generation.

--
Anmar Mirza EMT, N9ISY, NCRC National Coordinator, RBNC President