[LMB] Epidemic

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Nov 16 19:48:02 GMT 2020

On Nov 16, 2020, at 4:18 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
> After this year I have a different view of a lot of books and movies.
>
> There'll be some story about, frex, aliens landing, and then a few years later they're
> integrating into our society. Now I understand that society can change, massively and
> probably permanently, in a very short time. So many books about dystopian societies -
> now I know that people will adjust extremely fast, much more than I had believed possible.

Gwynne, Anmar, Howard, Louann, and Charles Dickens:

You all speak truth about humans. I hate that it can be considered that I am living in a genre I refuse to read (along with post-apocalyptics).

Much seems to depend on how we define our Us and Them. I aim for the model in John Donne’s Meditation XVII, but many make judgments even with that “no [one] is an island, entire unto [oneself]”—and I number among them, though sometimes I wish otherwise.

I miss physical contact with friends most of all, more than eating inside even a neighborhood restaurant.

You may recall that my mother was the daughter of Lebanese immigrants. I’m usually happy to meet other ME folx, esp. immigrants. There’s such a woman in the cosmetics/personal care department at my CVS [who will be involved in performing vaccinations when the general population is able to get them] who is not more than 10 yrs younger than me, and we had always met each other with a hug.

I had a blindingly silly idea the other day while organizing my friend’s library. They had a major renovation/expansion and her books were never well-organized. She did her job while I pulled books etc out and made piles.

Before we left to get me home, I though of the chorus to “Zombie Jamboree”,
      [which I had no idea was originally Jumbie
      Jamberee, nor that Louis Farrakhan had
      actually been a recorded singer
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbie_Jamberee]

“Back to back and belly to belly”.
So we shimmied our back-to-back.

The CVS lady, whose name I must get & write down, thought it was much better and more fun than an elbow bump. So that’s how we greet each other now.

A. Marina Fournier
Valley of Heart’s Delight, CA
saffronrose at me.com
sent from iFionnghuala