[LMB] OT: Governor’s Orders

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Nov 17 20:28:27 GMT 2020

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 02:21:51PM +0000, WILLIAM A WENRICH wrote:
> On of the problems with peer pressure is the amount of pressure people seem entitled to apply. Although I’m sure such cases are extremely rare, I have seen videos of people beaten bloody by groups for not wearing a mask.

Never heard of that.  Have heard of peer pressure *against* mask users
-- including someone shooting and murdering a store employee for asking
them to wear a mask.

> These flash mobs are driven by (to me) irrational levels of fear. The

When I search on covid mask flash mobs, the first results are of *anti*
maskers, people defiantly congregating without masks.

> odds of a single asymptomatic person (if there were a group, they
> probably wouldn’t be attacked) having the virus Is what, 1 in 100 or 1
> in 1,000, higher? For symptomatic people getting tests it seems to

A single infectious person can infect a whole crowd.

> I wear a mask outside my property when I’m around other people. This is for politeness and to defend myself against attack.

I think worrying about mobs is an irrational level of fear, compared to
*worrying about the virus*.

-xx- Damien X-)