[LMB] OT: Governor’s Orders

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Nov 17 20:38:28 GMT 2020

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 11:45:19AM -0600, Eric Oppen wrote:
> One thing that bugs the daylights out of me about this whole thing is that
> the people who're trying to stampede me are so very vague.  They yell about
> "number of cases." I ask "what constitutes a case?  Do you mean testing
> positive for the virus, showing symptoms, or sick enough to require
> hospitalization?"  And I get no answer.

Really?  Who have you asked?

Especially in statistical reports, cases are people who have tested positive for the virus.
Simple.  Wasn't that easy?

> I also notice that the actual death toll is surprisingly low for what I'd
> expect from a real pandemic.  Last night on the news, they said we'd had
> something like 200 or so deaths in Iowa since this started.  Figuring from

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
https://plague.wtf/us/ia/

Iowa has had around 2000 deaths.  Your news report is off by a factor of 10.

As I mentioned, El Paso is overflowing with corpses, with 10 mobile
morgues brought in to cope.

> month---and again, I want to know *who* is actually dying.  By age group,
> previous health, and other factors.

Are some lives worth more than others?

The damage from this virus isn't just from death.  Survivors often have
lung, brain, and other organ damage.  I was talking to a 29yo healthy
girl, who had a bad case of covid in June; her senses of taste and smell
are still f-ed up, with things smelling randomly "of burning Ajax".
That real enough for you?

The pandemic is not as lethal as first feared, but that's in part
because we've taken measures to reduce the spread, and slowed the spread
long enough to learn more about how to treat it.  Even so, it's killed
an extra 250,000 Americans so far.

Put another way, in the US 3% of all confirmed and closed cases have
died.

-xx- Damien X-)