[LMB] OT: Governor’s Orders

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Nov 17 21:04:37 GMT 2020

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 02:30:47PM -0600, Eric Oppen wrote:
> Do people really think that the government can just magically make money
> appear?

At the federal level, yes, yes it can.  That is literally what central
banks do.  There's some cost of inflation, but there's also a cost in
mass layoffs and evictions.  Money can also be borrowed or raised in
taxation.

Many people certainly seem to think money shows up for war, or a tax
cut.

A pandemic is going to make us all poorer off, in deaths, illness, and
loss productivity.  There is no avoiding that.  Government policy can
affect how that cost is distributed.

"No, life is not fair.  Not intrinsically.  It's something we can try to
make it, though.  A goal we can aim for.  You can choose to do so, or
not.  We have.  I'm sorry you find us so repulsive for that."
 -- _Player of Games_

-xx- Damien X-)