[LMB] OT: Governor’s Orders

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Wed Nov 18 01:46:32 GMT 2020

> On Nov 17, 2020, at 6:34 PM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ObBujold:  This makes me wonder---does Barrayar have an advantage over
> other planets in manufacturing because they started late and got newer
> factories?  That was part of why Japan did so well after World War
> II---their factories were new and state-of-the art, unlike a lot of ours.

On Earth, there are countries that have very little copper-wire phone infrastructure.   Instead, they have cell-phone infrastructure, which is much cheaper to create and is more useful.    They got that because they were late-comers to having the wealth to produce a good phone system.

China and India did not produce Mercury-level space programs.